The gray and coal layers, which cover the morning sky and the dense cover of green and dark green conifers in southeastern Connecticut, let rain and rain rains rise. Condensation hoses that embrace earth, such as smoke cakes created by a multitude of fires, spiraled upward.
New London, located on the River Thames and which proudly shows its heritage with several conserved historical buildings, was founded in 1646 by John Winthrop, Jr., which became an important harbor. It has a fleet of 30 ships and about 900 employees by 1834, it had become the third largest whale port after New Bedford and Nantucket, and today it is a small transport hub: buses place passengers In front of the railway station, its gently curved track, a parallel parallel road that carries Amtrak and Metro North trains, while the port serves as a gateway to the Cross Sound Ferry Company in Block Island. Long Island, the huge steel ramps of your boats releasing cars and trucks every dozen hours every hour. Although at 2:00 p.m. Running towards Orient Point had just left that agglutinating day of August, the vehicles reserved for the departure of 3:00 had already taken their position in the numerous lanes of boarding.
Privately owned and operated by the team of brothers and sisters Wronowski and based in New London, the company Cross Sound Ferry Company was established to avoid the geographical challenges of Long Island and Connecticut. Separated by East River and Long Island Sound, Long Island is more than 110 miles from New York, its north coast approximately parallel to the south bank of Connecticut, but the two surfaces only They connect through the Whitestone and Throgs Neck bridges. Depending on the proximity of a person, theoretically you could have to drive between 100 and 200 miles for the two eastern arteries [Long Island Expressway and Interstate 95] to reach your destination.
Removing these shortcomings, the Cross Sound Ferry Company inaugurated the scheduled vehicle, passenger and vehicle service between East End of Long Island in Orient Point and New London, Connecticut, in 1975, forging the vital link needed for the first time.
Numerous factors, such as the increase in the population of Long Island, the rise of the East End in tourism related to the vineyard, the establishment of Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun casino complexes in Connecticut and roads often stifled by traffic, go Cause dramatic growth, with up to 23 daily exits a. Each one of the directions during the peak season and transported more than one million passengers per year.
It works with a fleet of eight vessels.
The Caribbean, with a total length of 128 feet and powered by an engine of 1,440 hp, had been built in 1972 by Blount Marine in Warren, Rhode Island, for the Caribbean archipelago and the services of the # 39; West India, but was acquired by Cross Sound five years later. . With a capacity of 130 passengers and 22 vehicles, in 1995 a new pilot house and a ramp of cargo were modified.
The North Star, built in 1968 in the city of Morgan, Louisiana, to serve as an offshore supply ship, had been acquired in 1984 and converted for its current use by the Shipyard Est of the city of Panama , Florida. Propulsed by a 1,800 HP engine, the 168-ft-long boat includes 300 passengers and 35 vehicles.
The New London 260 feet long, which looked like the North Star with its stern, extended and exposed car cover, had been built in 1979 by the Thames Shipyard and Repair Company of New London, but was re-equipped with a superior cabin in 1992 and a diesel engine of Cummins KTA38-M2 of 2,400 CV, two years later, offering speeds of up to 15 knots. He is one of only three fleet ships that he does. It houses the same number of passengers that star of the North, offers a space of sufficient cover for almost the double of its cars, or 60.
Susan Anne of 840 vehicles, 80 feet, 250 feet, built in 1964, began its life as Prince New, which operates the shuttle service between Caribou, Nova Scotia and the island of Prince Edward. Widely modified by the repair and shipyard company of Thames after Cross Sound had acquired it in 1998, it received a new cabin for passengers, outdoor and cabin seats, hydraulic covers, renovated room systems of motors, new electrical equipment and an improved propulsion system. . Currently powered by a diesel engine of 4,600 HP GM of turbo loaded, the ferry with a round boat also reaches 15 knots speeds.
Mary Ellen, built in 1983 and acquired 20 years later, has a length of 260 feet and transports 800 passengers and 85 vehicles. Propelled by a 3,100 hp motor, it is the third one that manages 15 knot cruise speeds.
Dimensionalally the largest, at 327 feet, and the most historic ship of the fleet, Henlopen head had been built in 1941 as a vessel that wore World War II tanks in Jeffersonville, Indiana, then designated the USS LST 510 and He participated in the Invasion of D-Day landing on Omaha beach in Normandy, so he won a battle star. Converted into civilian use as a passenger vehicle ferry in 1966, it served the Lewes, Delaware, route to Cape May, New Jersey, before being acquired by Cross Sound 17 years later. It was equipped with an EMD 12-645 diesel engine of 3,000 HP in 1995, the ship carries 900 passengers and 90 cars within its 55-foot beam, reaching a speed of 12.5 knots.
The Sea Jet I, designed by InCat of Australia and built by the Nichols Brothers Shipyard in Seattle, Washington, in 1989, is the fastest and most unique fleet of passengers. The 122-ft-long catamaran, with a 5,000-hp engine and a dynamics maritime driving control system, had served three routes before being acquired in 1995: Boston-Nantucket, an intercity island service Hawaiian and San Diego- Catalina Island. Its 400 passengers, housed in air style seats on two decks, create sound in 40 minutes at a speed of 30 knots.
The largest capacity ferry, specifically designed for the Cross Sound system, is the m / v John H, which was scheduled for departure from 3:00 in the Orient Point. Constructed in 1989 by the Eastern Marine Shipping Company in the city of Panama, the ship, with a length of 240 feet, 60 feet and a weight of ten feet, is the largest that is classified under the regulation of subcapital T of the United States of the Coast Guard. for operation in lakes, in bays and in sounds.
Launched on June 22, 1989, the 98-ton shuttle, built of steel, has a double level platform for 120 vehicles; a bar and front room; an average cabin with a local Cross Sound Deli; a stern cabin and arcade games; and a superior terrace with outer seats for a total complement of 1,000 passengers. There are flat screen televisions everywhere.
Recently equipped with a diesel reduction engine of 3,000 hp with a reduced and clean nitrogen oxide, it reaches 13 knot cruising speeds. Your call sign is WAC 6768.
Dragging the large number of cars and flatbed trucks that cross the boarding lanes through their stern entry and ingesting them into their main cava door, the m / v John H withdrew his hydraulically driven ramp and disappeared from the ground of Connecticut, almost imperceptibly. Starting from the dock with a low and vibrant thickness of your engine.
Moving along the dark blue surface of the River Thames, he left the port of New London, the most accessible deepwater port on the east coast due to its proximity to the Atlantic Ocean, and passed through the General Division of The Shipyard Dynamics of the electric boat, located on the east side. , to Groton. It is one of only two places in the United States where nuclear submarines are built and maintained.
After sailing two miles, the ship passed through a rocky point on the western side of the River Thames, scoring its entrance and guarded by the New London Harbor Light. As a result of the increase in sea traffic, the lighthouse, in its original form, had been built in 1761 in a 64-foot stone tower topped by a wooden torch, replacing it with a temporary beacon in the midst of the 1700's.
Substituted in 1801 by a 89-foot stone tower and cast iron lantern after a large crack had weakened the structure two years earlier, the octagonal brown stone lighthouse, the fourth in North America and the first In Long Island Sound, it is the oldest in Connecticut and one of the first ones that has an intermittent light. The guardian's house, added in 1863, was enlarged at the turn of the century.
With the warning light of the white and red sector, New London Harbor Light continues to be an active aid for navigation, alerting the ships of the dangerous Sarah Ledge.
As if it were a first generation GPS point of contact, the lighthouse became the first of many to be traded on the southwestern course of the ferry through Long Island Sound, which had now entered. The red light brick New London Ledge Light, which has a mansard roof and granite details, moved slowly across the harbor, marking the entrance to the harbor.
Driven by the traffic created by the Industrial Revolution, for which New London Harbor Light had been considered inadequate, due to a prevalence of invisible and peripheral covers and lanyards and dictated by coastal homeowners in Connecticut who wanted to keep the Elegant uniformity of the area with its French. Style Second Empire, had been constructed in 1901 by the Company Hamilton R. Douglas of New London. It was one of the last built New England lighthouses.
His cradle had been towed to the place and was filled with concrete and washed before being sunk in 28 feet of water, while his 50-foot, 50-foot concrete dock that stood 18 meters above the low tide, had been erected on top. Three levels of windows represented an equal number of floors. From the lamp of the mansard, a cast iron lantern was erected, which originally had a four-order fresnel lens and an incandescent steam lamp. The fog signal was added in 1911. Its light consisted of intermediate sparkles of 30 seconds of red and white triple. In 1987, it became the last lighthouse in Long Island Sound that was automated.
With the maintenance of 13 knots, the m / v John H fell next to Fishers Island.
The Far Rock Race Rock of Gothic style, placed on a round base, soon moved to the left. Located at the western end of the island, the structure that appears in the mini castle marked an especially precarious area, the small rocky spiers that penetrated 70 meters of water had been the Due to numerous shipwrecks and collisions. He had been on for the first time on January 1, 1879.
Due to the almost unformulated emptiness formed by the dirty and white cloud fog that is on it and the surrealistic mirror of Long Island Sound below a place between New London and Orient Point, the m / v John H It kept 13 knots just registrable, its movement can only be verified. by the frothy alarm clock you've dragged. But a fine line of pencil marked its origin and destiny, apparently equidistant between its stern and the bow. A strong wind, which was trying to counteract fatty moisture and sulfuric heat, was only marginally triumphant. Long Island Sound, bordered by the Westchester County, New York, and the Bronx in the west and the East Point and Plum, Gavina and Fishers Islands, measures 90 kilometers in length between three and 20 miles wide, resulting in a 1,180- square area, half-enclosure, between East River and Block Island Sound. It was part of the international waterway of the Atlantic.
Its basin, formed by a stream flow prior to freezing, decreased as a result of two glacial advances, increasing its depth of water by more than 100 feet and transforming it into a freshwater lake, without tides, to a saline and tidal zone of the ocean. .
The mouth of the Connecticut River, located in the Old Saybrook, flows into the sound, while most of its drainage, along with those of the Housatonic and Thames rivers, quickly emerge at its eastern edge open to a drainage basin that is almost 13 times. your area.
Its waters are rich in blue fish, lobster, crabs, clams and oysters, while its hydraulic divide supports some eight million people.
In the forward room of the m / v John H, the passengers drank alcoholic drinks, while others bought a snack or a late lunch at the Cross Sound Deli in the central cockpit. Television viewing and reading prevailed in the aft section, and a good hand resisted the rays and winds on the open deck above.
The Gavina Islands, seven miles north east of Orient Point and halfway between the Plum and Fishers islands, moved constantly across the harbor.
Once a military fort was found, Great Gull practiced a research station in wildlife after the American Museum of Natural History was founded in 1948 to study the migratory branches.
Buyed by Samuel Wyllys in 1659, Little Gull, who advanced through several homeowners, fell into the hands of the government with his acquisition of $ 1803 of $ 800 with the goal of building a lighthouse in an optimal location and d & One acre. Apart from some existing rocks that provide fundamentals, all the other necessary construction materials had to be transported to the island by sea.
The 59-foot tower, composed of a loose hammer stone that was arranged in courses and which inside had a spiral staircase, with lanterns, was put into operation in 1805, and a separate plant, of a and a half, with a wooden guard room. It contained two rooms at the main level and one at the top level. Subsequently, during the summer of 1817, he had added a circular stone wall of 100 feet in diameter of 11 feet thick, intended for protection against storms.
A larger 81-foot lighthouse, built in 1867 on a five-foot thick brick wall base, replaced the previous structure, and joined a wooden and granite guardhouse three years later. A second-order Fesnel lens was first used in December 1869.
With 177 years of support, the station succumbed to automation in 1978.
Arriving at a turn to the left in the now deep blue water that reflects the blue sky in dust, the m / v John H entered "the race", thus designated due to the tide currents often superior to the five knots that They were combined with strong winds and strong seas on the coast to produce dangerous flood tides. Broken white bushes with their bow, which was cut into a longitudinal axis.
Plum Island, the largest of the three atolls that extend north-east into the sound of Long Island, was acquired by Samuel Wyllys in 1659 by Wyandanch, the Montauk Sachem, like Little Gull. In 1775, it had been the site of an amphibious landing by continental troops under the guidance of General David Wooster, so that they could thwart the possible livestock raids on the part of the British, while a coastal artillery base is' He had built more than a century later, in 1899, during the Hispano-American war. Always assuming a protective role, he had watched Long Island Sound and the port of New York during the two world wars, occupied by about 1,000 soldiers at its peak, the rest of which include the smaller batteries and the brick quarters where They had been accommodated. Using some of the old quarters of officers and animals until 1984, the Department of Agriculture of the United States established a laboratory there.
A 40-foot stone tower with ten reflective lamps was the first island lighthouse in 1827, a year after Richard Jerome sold three of its 840 hectares to the United States government. Replaced by a structure of 18 meters high, double-sized, granite and almost appeared in the church, marked the traditionally treacherous waters of the western point.
Emitting almost audible humidity, the m / v John H crossed the port of Plum Gut, which was set to the point of the Orient Point lighthouse in black and white, lying on the rock, located just next to the point it had been named and indicated imminently. arrival.
Built between 1898 and 1899 to mark the end of the Oyster Point Reef and guide the ships through the dangerous currents of Plum Gut, the lighthouse, consisting of curved cast iron plates rolled together to form a truncated cone, supported on a circular 21 feet diameter. box filled with concrete and outer lining with brick. He himself used as a foundation a part of the rocky point of Oyster Point. The 64-foot structure, which was often dubbed the "coffee machine" by appearance, was five degrees south-east. It was automated in 1966.
By reducing the speed and the corresponding size of the turquoise turbidity generated by its wake, the ferry left Long Island Sound, passing Gardiner Bay before starting a final turn to the right towards the point of the fork North, the game Maryland, of Connecticut. , taking its two piles aft, black and gold, eluding John H's arch on a left arc as it passed through the East Point lighthouse. Another "point of view" of the lighthouse was maintained before docking it, the East Long Beach Light Light, which marked the entrance to the Orient port.
Located on a snails platform, which penetrated the lower part of the ten-foot bay, the 60-foot tall structure was completed by a fifth-order lens with a fixed red light, while That the two-story doors with wooden frame the house had been covered with a mansard roof.
During winter, the frosted legs often were embedded in a two-foot thick gel. In 1824, for example, he ripped the dock, and in 1881 he broke three of his stacks and almost all his straps.
The bar of sand, increasingly distant from the lighthouse, damaged it and, until 1963, it had been destroyed by fires.
In 1990, a tri-sectional replica was built, which worked with the original, which was called "bug light" because it was similar to a bug that walked on # 39. ; water, and it was lodged to the place where the crane was mounted. Controlled by the Coast Guard of the United States three years later, it was again designated as official navigational aid.
Laborally passing through the port, the m / v John H stopped moving, opening his boarding ramp forward, as a mouth, and returning to land after a Long Island Sound crossing of 16.5 miles Through its multiple lighthouses, and breaking the parade of vehicles in its cavern, they adhere to Orient Point, the most eastern village of Southold, and leads to vineyards, farms and the nautical town of Greenport